TOGETHER~

TOGETHER~

Monday, April 8, 2013

Day TWENTY4OUR & TWENTY5IVE - 27, 28 March 2013

Yesterday we had our last Forensic lecture with Dr Tan, Crime Scene Investigations. She showed us videos that I find it interesting. I have always been interested in Forensic Science and hence all these videos and lessons interest me a lot! The whole day was normal that nothing special happened!

Today is so different. Brandon, KangMing, Li Si and I went for breakfast at two different canteens. There was no MianWo, which is one of the Wuhan specialties and hence we had other kind of dough for breakfast. I ate dough with fillings at the first canteen and second dough which is sweet at the second canteen. Kenneth came to join us later where he tried the sweet dough. We then slowly walked to our classroom as we had plenty of time left before the IS session starts.

We had Calligraphy and Tea Appreciation as part of our IS lesson. I had the calligraphy lesson first. The teacher is very skilled and showed us the different calligraphy style as well as a brief introduction of how calligraphy comes about. The teacher also teaches us the way of holding the brush and all us to practice. We had time to practice on the calligraphy where the teacher come along and give us some advice as we write. I had no problem with writing Chinese characters; the problem is I still not familiar with the way to hold the brush as the teacher had taught. This really shows how much patience and experience is needed to do a good calligraphy like the teacher does.

(PICTURE FROM JODIE)

Also, we asked Ms Chuah to show us how she writes her name in the calligraphy style. Surprisingly, Ms Chuah, HuiQi and I share the same ‘HUI’ in our name. We then jokes that we should just write our remaining name (Fang, Qi, Ting) beside the ‘HUI’ that Ms Chuah writes! Ms Chuah also helped Li Si to write her Chinese name. She is really good in this! J

After which, we continued with the Tea Appreciation. We were taught by a lady who specializes in tea. She taught us on how to make a good tea and the different types of tea like Red Tea and Black Tea. I also tried once on how to make the tea. It was a fun experience but definitely a new one that requires more practice!

(PICTURES FROM PRISCILLA)
After me, Joel and PeiPei also tried in making the tea. They did a great job as well and I believe they had fun doing that as seen from their smiles on their faces.


(PICTURES FROM PRISCILLA)
Though these two sessions, I learnt that in China there are still many people who follows the traditions like Calligraphy, Paper Cutting and Tea Appreciation. This really shows how long and deep the Chinese Traditions are in their heart. In Singapore with many races, it was hard to have such deep and long traditions as we are always adapting the new fashion. It is very rare in Singapore that people will do Calligraphy, Paper Cutting and Tea Appreciation.

To add on, we had our directors from NgeeAnn coming over to see us and view how we are doing in the IS sessions. They also tried in the Calligraphy (not sure about tea appreciation). After which, they went for lunch with Dr Tan, Ms Chuah and local teachers who taught us Calligraphy and Tea Appreciation. On the other side, we had to stay to pack up and lock the room as instructed to Kenneth by the teachers as he is the student leader. We then had our lunch and went back to prepare for our forensic presentation. I was tired and went to take a nap for 7hours. My friends wake me up as they bought dinner for me. i ate slowly like a small kid and went around looking at the rest of them packing. I went back to sleep again for another 10hours to the next morning! This had to be the longest time (17hours) that i slept since i come to Wuhan. J
*My friends all call me pig after i slept for so long*

1 comment:

  1. The Chinese Calligraphy class and Tea Appreciation class had given us insights into the Chinese culture. Rather than the usual lectures for IS, the practical sessions served as an interesting methods for us to learn Chinese culture. We might think that Chinese Calligraphy is easy however, it required one to practice for a long time before able to write such beautiful words. From these, it taught me not to look just the exterior of an items, but I must learn to appreciate the inner beauty of the items.

    ReplyDelete